Translate

Sunday, August 21, 2005


The High Falls. According to the sign at the foot of the falls, "The Chagrin River was named for Francois Seguin, a Frenchman who traded with Native Americans in Northeast Ohio circa 1742. The "High Falls" of the Chagrin River primarily attracted settlers from New England (circa 1833) seeking a location with ample waterpower. By the mid-nineteenth century an axe factory, a foundry, 2 flour mills, 4 woolen mills, 2 sawmills, 3 paper mills, and a woodenware factory had been built along the riverbanks in Chagrin Falls. The "High Falls" provided a power source for a gristmill, built in 1836 at this location. Today only one factory remains in operation in the Village of Chagrin Falls."

4 comments:

Jennifer Swanepoel said...

I just love waterfalls. Sigh. I am in DESPERATE need of a dose of nature!

Anonymous said...

I've never been to Chagrin Falls. Another Ohio trip coming up!

Anonymous said...

Catching up - been very busy of late. Answer to your question on Mellow Yellow about picture size:

Seeing Anew - This photo is 5MP from my Digi Compact - I do not believe I cropped it. Pictures from my D70 are 6MP. Most of the pictures on the blog (which are not square) are not cropped - a few are.

Adventuring through Florida's WILD life! said...

Great history. Great photo, thanks.